Mrs Utenkova – Sture and Miss Gathercole.
Mrs Davey, Mrs Kirk and Mrs Mortimer.
This year, our planned topics are:
Autumn Term 1
Earth and Space
In Maths, we will be focusing on place value, addition and subtraction, statistics and times tables.
In English, our focus is non-chronological reports, relative clauses and expanded noun phrases. Our class book is George’s Secret Key to the Universe by Lucy and Stephen Hawking with Christophe Galfard.
In our PE, we will be swimming in the Pods. 5G will swim on Mondays and 5S on Wednesdays. Please send your child to school in their PE kit on this day.
Autumn Term 2
The Great, The Bold and The Brave
In Maths, we will be focusing on multiplication and division, perimeter and area and times tables.
In English, our focus is narrative (defeating the enemy), punctuation for parenthesis and modal verbs. Our class story is An Anthology of Greek Myths.
To support your child with becoming familiar with mythology, please read a range of myths with them, such as:
- Theseus and the Minotaur
- The Labours of Heracles
- Perseus and Medusa
- The Percy Jackson series
- Odysseus and the Cyclops
To support your child in becoming familiar with ‘Defeating the Enemy’ stories, please read with or encourage your child to read books such as:
- Greek Myths
- The Harry Potter series
- The Hobbit
- The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
In Maths, we will be focusing on multiplication and division, fractions, decimals and percentages and times tables.
In English, our focus is persuasive writing, poetry and instructional texts, punctuation for parenthesis and commas to clarify meaning. Our class book is The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton.
To support your child with becoming familiar with instructional texts, please read a range of instructions with them, such as:
- Rules of a game
- Instructions for making something
What a Wonderful World
In Maths, we will be further exploring decimals and percentages. Later in the term, we will learn about properties of shapes, position and direction, converting units and times tables.
In English, we will be learning about the newspaper reports and recount. Our class book is The Tornado Chasers by Ross Montgomery.
To support your child in becoming familiar with recount, please read with or encourage your child to read books such as:
- The Tornado Chasers – Ross Montgomery
- Why the Whales Came – Michael Morpurgo
- Once There Were Giants – Martin Waddell
- Horrible Geography series
- Science Through Stories (The Drop of Honey)
- Science Through Stories (The Bird and the Forest Fire)
Parents – how to support your child from home
- reading five times a week with your child and record this in their Home/School Links book;
- looking out for stories in the news or in papers that are linked to their class topic;
- encouraging them to complete their homework each week- English, Maths, Spelling and TT Rockstars;
- practising times tables;
- discussing the world around you to improve vocabulary;
- sending them in their P.E. kits on the correct day;
- ensure their Home/School Links book is in school every day.