The Grange Primary SchoolYear 3
Miss Crowe and Miss Ashdown.
Mrs Hyke and Miss Khan
This year, our topics planned are:
Autumn Term 1
Scavengers and Settlers
Our topic is ‘Scavengers and Settlers’, which is focused on the Stone Age to the Iron Age. We will be delving deeper into how daily life changed in Britain from the Stone Age to the Iron Age through a Stone Age Workshop (teacher led) and interactive lessons.
In Maths, we will be focusing on place value, addition and subtraction, and times tables.
In English, our focus is writing narratives. We will be focusing upon the book ‘Stone Age Boy’ by Satoshi Kitamura throughout our Jane Considine unit.
Our Class story is ‘Stig of the Dump’ by Clive King.
Our PE day is Tuesday, and our focus is dance. Year 3 children are required to be in school, in the correct PE kit, in line with school policy.
Autumn Term 2
The Secret of Black Rock
Our topic is ‘The Secret of Black Rock’, which links closely to our English focus which is writing narratives. We will be focusing upon the book ‘The Secret of Black Rock’ by Joe Todd-Stanton throughout our Jane Considine unit.
In Maths, we will be focusing on multiplication and division, and times tables.
Our Class story is ‘Poppy Field’ by Michael Morpurgo.
Our PE day is Thursday, and our focus is gymnastics. Year 3 children are required to be in school, in the correct PE kit, in line with school policy.
11 before 11
Our 11 before 11 is to visit a library, which will also be a local walk. Year 3 children will also be visiting a Mosque.
How to support your child from home
Please help us in supporting your child with the following:
- Read 5 times a week and record these in Home-School links books.
- Complete homework on time (due on Mondays).
- Ensure Home-School links books are in every day.
- Ensure PE kit is worn on the correct PE days.
- Discuss the world around you to improve vocabulary.
- Practise time tables daily at home (1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 8x and 10x tables in particular).
- Share Year 3-level texts with your child, a list of which can be found at the following website: https://www.booksfortopics.com/year-3.
- Visit the local library with your child to borrow books from the suggested book lists.