K Gibbons and L Hoggard
L Carris, L Hyke and M Mawer
Autumn Term 1
Kings, Queens and Castles
In the first term our topic will be Kings, Queens and Castles, we will be learning about the changes in castles and different monarchs. We will also be exploring the characteristics of our capital city London and present our work to Reception.
In English our class book is The Queen’s Hat by Steve Antony.
In Maths we will be exploring place value within 10 and consolidate our subitizing skills.
Our PE day will be Thursday.
Autumn Term 2
We Are Scientists
In our second term our topic will be We Are Scientists, as we begin to explore everyday materials. We will also be learning about the change in the seasons and record changes in the weather.. As part of our enterprise project we will be making our own Christmas decorations that we plan to sell!
In English we will be writing our own firework poem and our class story will be The Storm Whale by Benji Davies.
In Maths we will be looking at addition and subtraction within 10 and geometry.
Our PE day will be Tuesday.
Into The Woods
This term our topic is Into The Woods and will be learning about different types of plants and trees and making our own woodland buggy. We will have our 11 before 11 experience this term and visit a local park.
In English we will be looking at the traditional tale of Little Red Riding Hood and learning how to write our own recounts.
In Maths we will continue looking at place value, length, height, mass and volume.
Our PE day will be Tuesday in Spring 1 and Thursday in Spring 2.
This term our topic will be Animals Everywhere! and will be identifying different types of animals.
In English our class books will be Wombat Goes Walkabout by Michael Morpurgo and an information text about the seasons.
In Maths we will be looking at multiplication and division, fractions, position and direction, place value, money and time.
Our PE day will be Monday in Summer 1 and Tuesday in Summer 2.
How to support your child from home
How to help your child at home:
- Read 3 times a week and record these in Home School links books.
- Complete homework on time (due on Mondays).
- Ensure Home-School links books are in every day.
- Ensure PE kit is in school on a Monday.
- Discuss the world around you to improve vocabulary.
- Practise phonics sounds daily at home.
- Share Year 1-level texts with your child, a list of which can be found at the following website: https://www.booksfortopics.com/booklists/recommended-reads/year-1
- Visit the local library with your child to borrow books from the suggested book lists.
- Logins to: SPAG monsters, Purple Mash, Numbots and Education City can be found at the front of your child’s Home School Links Book.
- Useful Websites: www.topmarks.co.uk and www.phonicsplay.co.uk