The Grange Primary SchoolSchool Council
The School Council at TGPS
Our school council are elected each year through a formal election process consisting of children from year 1 to 6.The children that would like to be appointed give a short presentation to their class; this is followed by a ballot choosing a captain and vice-captain from each class as representatives. Year 6 take on the roles of Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer. They minute take all meetings.
These representatives attend regular council meetings. They discuss a variety of ideas, views and concerns that have been expressed to them by their classmates.
Projects are brought to the school council by staff members for consideration, all matters are open to debate by the council and are often taken back to their own class for collection of viewpoints so a final decision can be made by the council.Over the past few years we have:
- Assisted in appointing Learning Assistants and Lunchtime Supervisors
- Held charity days and events to raise money such as the Brain Tumour Charity and Save the Children
- Met with and interviewed local MP Nik Dakin
- Met with a representative from ONGO Communities to begin a careers event
- Arranged whole school competitions
- Organised enterprise opportunities
- Liaised with the School Buddy Mentors and Mini Mentors (challenging bullying)
- Attended a Breakfast Meeting at Forest Pines
- Supported the planning of the new school building
- Helped to organise and bury the school time capsule
- Raised funds to develop the playground markings and activities